Partial disabled access, Toilets, Full disabled access
Grade II listed building, designed by the architect E. Berry Webber who adopted a fashionable style, showing a fusion of modern Scandinavian and Dutch motifs combined with English Regency ones - described as ‘Swedish Georgian' by a critic.
E Berry Webber,
Hammersmith & Fulham Architects Department led by R.A. Mitchelmore,
The present town hall replaced a vestry hall in Hammersmith Broadway, built 1896-97 to the design of JH Richardson, which survived until the 1960s. By 1915 the Metropolitan Borough of Hammersmith, the successor to Hammersmith Vestry, had outgrown these premises and, after two decades of renting temporary offices, opted to build a new town hall on a different site. Ernest Berry Webber (1896-1963), a specialist in municipal buildings best known for his work at Southampton and Dagenham, was invited to design the new town hall in 1936. He adopted a fashionable but distinctive style, showing a fusion of modern Scandinavian and Dutch motifs combined with English Regency ones - described as ‘Swedish Georgian' by a contemporary critic. Webber's original designs proposed a more elaborate sculptural treatment (such as a pair of free-standing columns flanking the southern entrance) than was realised.
The foundation stone is dated 2nd July 1938. Completion was interrupted by war, although the building was substantially finished by 1939. Webber showed drawings for the building at the 1949 Royal Academy.
A six-storey extension was built in 1971-75 on the site of the landscaped forecourt to the north. In 1965, when the boroughs of Hammersmith and Fulham were merged, Hammersmith Town Hall became the principal headquarters of the new local authority.