Tottenham Green Conservation Area
AS Taylor & AR Jemmett
- External tour of Tottenham Green Conservation Area at 11am
- Original design
- AS Taylor & AR Jemmett, 1904
**Former Tottenham County School, 1913, Middlesex County Council, now part of College of North East London
**Former Tottenham Public Baths, now Bernie Grant Arts Centre (only listed façade retained)
**Former Tottenham Town Hall, 1905 (Tottenham UDC foundation stone 1904). Town Hall until 1965. Used as municipal offices until 2007. On English Heritage 'buildings at risk" register but in the process of being restored with housing development behind.
** Former Tottenham Fire Station (Tottenham UDC foundation stone 1904). Now Enterprise Centre.
** War Memorial 1923
*Former Tottenham Technical College. Founded 1892. This building 1936-9 “in the austere classical style used in the interwar years by the Middlesex County Council to dignify further education.” Extensions 1955 and 1972. Now College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London.
*Former Jewish Hospital, 1897-1901 and wing 1913. “Amply proportioned Free Jacobean composition in red brick, with shaped and stepped gables on a half H plan.” Now Sycamore Gardens flats.
*1 and **2 Tottenham Green
Talbot Road ** No. 41 Spring Cottage (date plaque 1857); *39, *33 and *31, *2-40 even.
*Former Prince of Wales Hospital, 1881. Neo-Georgian. Founded 1868 as Deaconesses’ Institute training voluntary Christian workers as nurses. Became Tottenham Hospital in 1899 then Prince of Wales Hospital in 1907. Converted to Deaconess Court flats 1993. Note foundation stones to left of porch.
**Mountford House, early nineteenth century. Pair of houses now flats.
316 High Road – built in 1920s as a post office. Also memorial plaque to John Williams.
Side of 328 High Road – Banksy cartoon.
**Tottenham High Cross – Early C17. Wooden cross recorded 1409. 1809 stucco recladding. Moved when gyratory system established in 1970s. (View of **62 High Cross Road/Monument Way)
*Rawlinson Terrace, 352-366 High Road and Synagogue.
Former public toilets, 1930s Mock Tudor (boarded up) and*Statue
*Former Tottenham Grammar School, 1908-10 for Middlesex County Council. “Very large and grand with big dentilled gables and a Baroque entrance at the side.” This building replaced one of 1840 for the school founded before 1600. The school moved in 1938 to new buildings in White Hart Lane, since demolished. Converted to workshops in 1984.
*The Green School, (founded 1792, Victorian building?). Now The Green Church of England Primary School.
Tottenham Police Station, 398 High Road, 1913, Neo-Georgian. Memorial to police officer killed in 1909 Tottenham Outrage.
Chesnut Road *Stoneleigh, No. 1 and * No. 2 "two quite grand Italianate houses of C19.”
**Former Tottenham Palace Theatre 1908. Then cinema, then bingo hall. Now “Palace Cathedral” church 9on English Heritage "buildings at risk" register
Site of former Canadian Royal Skating Rink 1909 (later bingo hall and dance hall). Now turquoise modern building.
**Former Tottenham High School for Girls, 1860-62. Originally built as The Drapers’ College, then became Tottenham High School for Girls 1885-1985, then High Cross School. “A large earnestly Gothic institution in stock brick and stone.” Converted to housing 1998 “Old School Court”.
** Gate piers and railings to forecourt of Tottenham High School for Girls.
*Former Felvus Hall, 1926 addition to School. Now Christ Apostolic Church.
* Boundary gates and railways to Felvers Hall
**Former British Legion Club, 399-401 High Road, “behind a dismally neglected forecourt, a pair of C18 three-bay, three-storey houses, much rebuilt after a fire.” Now Tottenham Chances.
*Former Tottenham Library, 391 High Road, 1896. Converted to “Library Court” flats 1994.
*The Swan public house, 363 High Road. First record of pub on this site 1455. Isaac Walton used to visit. Rebuilt many times.
**Old Well and Well House. Well sunk 1791 by Lord of Manor after previous well enclosed. Present well-head dates from 1876.
**High Cross Infants School, 1847
**Forecourt wall to Holy Trinity Church with side walls to back of grounds fronting Philip Lane.
**Holy Trinity Church, 1828-30. “Typically plain Commissioners’ Church.”
*Holy Trinity Church Vicarage
*Fenton Almshouses, 88-94 Philip Lane, 1860, “Forsters’ Cottages
** nationally listed buildings *locally listed buildings
Details of all Haringey conservation areas and listed buildings can be found on council website.
Quotes are from Cherry and Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4 North
For information about other TCS events 020 8347 7684 or email@example.com
Although all reasonable care is taken, people taking part in TCS events do so at their own risk.