Full disabled access, Toilets, Partial disabled access
Modern movement estate, received Conservation Area status after extensive refurbishment by Peabody. Pioneering in use of concrete and some of the most sculptural stairways ever designed for social housing.
Regular tours every 60 mins (10am-3pm)
Tecton & Lubetkin,
Priory Green was designed by the architect, Berthold Lubetkin, and has ‘Conservation Area’ status. Lubetkin pioneered the use of concrete and created some of the most sculptural stairways ever designed for social housing blocks.
Building work begun in 1948 and the final phase was completed in 1957. Priory Green is one of ten estates at Kings Cross, which were transferred to Peabody from Islington Council in 1999.
Priory Green comprises 288 flats and maisonettes (8 x bedsits, 68 x 1 bed flats, 8 x 2 bed flats, 11 x 2 bed maisonettes, 185 x 3 bed flats, 8 x 4 bed flats) in 7 blocks. Peabody was awarded a £2 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund's townscape heritage initiative in November 2000 to conserve the estate. Avanti Architects acted as conservation consultant throughout the design implementation of this project.
A £15.2 million programme of extensive works was completed in 2004, including new kitchens, bathrooms and windows lift renewal, an overhaul of the door entry system, an overhaul of the district heating system and new flat entrance doors.
Improvements to communal areas and facilities included new landscaping, a new play area, improved lighting, and new refuse stores.
Peabody’s £52m capital works programme across the Kings Cross 10 estates complemented the wider regeneration of the surrounding area, in partnership with Islington Council, Kings Cross Partnership and Elizabeth Garret Anderson School.
Solar photovoltaic (PV) panels were installed at Priory Green in December 2011 by Breyer Group. These power communal electricity systems such as the lifts, communal lighting and the communal TV aerial for the building.
Services and Facilities
There are two community centres on the estate, Hugh Cubitt centre, opened in 2004, and the Old Laundry. Designed by JCMT Architects, Hugh Cubitt House completes the original concept for Priory Green envisaged by Lubetkin. The centre provides a range of services for local people, delivered by Peabody employees and partners.
The Hugh Cubitt Centre currently delivers around 100 hours of free to access activities each week, including employment and training advice, IT training, art classes, a youth club and money guidance. A £90k refit completed in 2015 includes new offices, creative workspace, and a new café.