Full disabled access, Refreshments, Toilets, Partial disabled access
Parts of the building date back to 11C, a fine Norman doorway and a Saxon sundial outside on the south wall.
Carden & Godfrey,
There is no indication of a church on this site until the 12th century although substantial remains of Roman, Romano-British and Saxon settlements have been discovered close by. There may well have been an earlier place of worship on or near the present building but there is no evidence of this.
The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was granted to the Abbey of the Holy Trinity at Rouen, shortly after the conquest. The Abbot there was Abbot Goulin. He may possibly have begun the early building of St Mary's church. The earliest part of the church is the south arcade, the pillars and the wall. This is 12th century. During the 13th century the building was moved to the north and the pillars together with the arches in the south and north aisle were rebuilt.
From 1391 until 1543 the manor and church was granted to Winchester College and in 1396-8 a major reconstruction took place. The architect was William Wynford who was working at Windsor Castle at the time. During the 14th century the Chancel was re-built and the north aisle added. During the 16th century the north aisle was altered possibly to form a chantry but with the dissolution of the Chantries Act in 1547 worked stopped and the existing Tudor 4 centred arches reveal the limit of the intended change. The fine Hammer-beam roof would be from this time. During the 16th century, the tower was reconstructed and the upper portion built in brick.
The sedilia and piscina in the chancel are 15th century. The stoup in the north chapel is 16th century and the stoup for Holy water at the entrance is 15th century, note the carvings on the jamb.
The font is of Purbeck marble and dates from the twelfth century or earlier. The base is later.
The doorway is significant, Norman or Romanesque, 12th century and possibly re-set.
The pews to the rear of the Nave are 15th century and the roof is 14th century.
There is a Mass or Scratch dial to be seen on the south wall outside. This probably dates from the 15th but no earlier than the 14th century.