Full disabled access, Toilets, Partial disabled access
Listed church, recently refurbished. 1750s organ with fine wooden case, many fine memorials. Eight-bell peal - the oldest bell dates from 1680.
A large town church at the historic centre of Enfield, set in a shady churchyard on the north side of the marketplace (which has been in use since 1632) with the historic Enfield Grammar School next door.
Built of ragstone, flint rubble and brick with a substantial 14th Century tower, the church shows evidence of a long building history with features from the 13th to the 19th centuries. Beginning with the chancel in the 13th century the structure continues with the nave and tower a century later, and the nave and aisles in the 15th century. The arcades have 5 bays of quatrefoil piers carrying moulded and chamfered arches.
The chancel arch was widened in 1779 and its Doom painting destroyed. The present crucifix on the arch is a war memorial by Powell's of Highgate and dates from 1923.
The Church's most important features are the monuments, which include those to many local worthies, officials and benefactors. Principal among these are the altar tomb and brass of Joyce, Lady Tiptoft (died 1446); the figures of Faith, Hope and Charity in black marble and alabaster by Nicholas Stone commemorating Martha Palmere (died 1617); and best of all the 3-decker alabaster and marble monument of 1646 to Sir Nicholas Raynton, builder of Forty Hall, with his wife and family. Many other interesting monuments and brasses can be seen within the church and the churchyard has some good 19th century tombs.
A short walk from the church is Gentleman's Row, a winding lane of beautiful small houses, mainly 18th century, with cottage gardens and tiny bridges crisscrossing a stream.