• Bow Church in 1809 showing it at the heart of the village.
  • Bow Church in 1896
  • The cat in the east window designed by H. Lewis Curtis. Arthur Broome, founder of the RSPCA, was Rector of Bow 1820-24.
  • Interior of Bow Church showing the Tudor chancel roof, CR Ashbee's choir stalls, 1900, and the east window by H. Lewis Curtis, 1951.
  • West end of Bow Church
  • Memorial plaque for George Lansbury MP, member of Bow Church for over 40 years, unveiled by his granddaughter Dame Angela Lansbury in 2011
  • The medieval font, Bow Church, c.1410
  • Interior of St Mary's Bow 1912
  • The west end of the church was damaged by enemy action in 1941 during the Second World War
  • Conservation work on the church tower.

Bow Church - St Mary's and Holy Trinity

C R Ashbee

place
230 Bow Road, E3 3AH
info_outline
Toilets, Partial disabled access, Refreshments, Bookshop
Medieval village church, restored in late 19C and after bomb damage in WWII. 15C font and memorials from five centuries. Grade II* listed. Refurbished for 700th anniversary in 2011; the bell tower and cupola were restored in 2017-18.

Access

Saturday 22nd

Open 10am–5pm

Stepfree access to the main church only. (max visitors 100)

group
  • Tour at 1pm, 3pm (Max 20 per tour)
event
  • Bee for Bow Church - candle-making and other crafts (childrens' activity), capacity 10

Sunday 23rd

Open 12pm–5pm

Stepfree access to the main church only. (max visitors 100)

group
  • Tour at 1pm, 3pm (Max 20 per tour)
event
  • Bee for Bow Church - candle-making and other crafts (childrens' activity), capacity 10

info_outline This building is open free of charge at other times of the year

Design

Original design
H. Lewis Curtis, C R Ashbee, H S Goodhart-Rendel, 1311
Landscape design
Metropolitan Parks and Gardens Association, 1895
Refurbishment
C R Ashbee, 1900
Restoration
H S Goodhart-Rendel, 1945
Restoration
Thomas Ford & Partners, 2017
Type
Religious
Period
Medieval, Post-war, Historical/contemporary